Since Namche, the team has been going strong as we trekked through the quiet Sherpa villages of Phortse and Pangbouche. We even got a few hours of rock climbing in at a crag by Phortse. From Phortse the weather has also turned a bit with daily afternoon light snowfall. It makes for pleasant walking though as the valleys are now covered with a touch of snow every morning.
In Pangbouche, we visited the head lama in the oldest monastery in the Khumbu and requested a special prayer to wish us safety and success on Lobouche. Then it was 2 days acclimatisation in Dingbouche. One of the “rest” days included a hike up to ~5000m, unfortunately we weren’t rewarded with any views as the cloud cover came in early that day. However, the hike from Lobouche to here, Gorak Shep, is clear again! No snowfall so far, so fingers crossed the sunrise viewing of Everest from Kala Patthar tomorrow will be spectacular…albeit a bit cold. Everyone is fit and well, only Erika has a cough but she’s a strong chicken and as gone with the team to hobnob with famous climbers at Everest base camp….Sabita
- Reflections on the trying circumstances of the 12th Everest expedition of Himalayan Ascent
- Everest 2020 & Covid-19
- End of Spring 2017 wrap up and new beginnings….
- First Myanmar Everest summit and more
- Everest team at South col, ready for the summit
- Another year of new challenges in the Himalayas
- Ready for summit, waiting for a good weather window
- First summit of the season on Annapurna!
- First rotation to Camp 2 complete!
- Everest and Annapurna update 17.04.16