National Park services stepped in yesterday (18th) and have closed all climbs on Aconcagua for the next 3 days. Although predicted wind conditions during this time are feasible for a possible climb, the unpredicted excessive snowfall has alarmed National Park services (snowed through the night).
So there were no summits from the teams who started off from Camp 3 yesterday on their final summit push, and sadly our team was also turned around from Camp 2 back to BC.
With high winds now predicted from the 20th through to at least the 24th, the window of opportunity has now closed for Mike, Meg and Sumit. Approximately 200 people have already departed BC today due to the forecasts, and our team will also depart tomorrow to Mendoza.
It’s a 7 hr trek and a 3 hr jeep ride to wifi, showers, steak and wine to appease some of the disappointment. Despite great fitness and acclimatization, our team was very unlucky this time that the weather closed in during their scheduled week of potential summit pushes. Ah Aconcagua, until another day….
- Everest 2020 & Covid-19
- End of Spring 2017 wrap up and new beginnings….
- First Myanmar Everest summit and more
- Everest team at South col, ready for the summit
- Another year of new challenges in the Himalayas
- Ready for summit, waiting for a good weather window
- First summit of the season on Annapurna!
- First rotation to Camp 2 complete!
- Everest and Annapurna update 17.04.16
- Annapurna and Everest update