Day 1 – At the lunch stop between Lukla to Monjo.Someone locks Erika in the teahouse toilet (doors in the Khumbu can be locked from the outside to stop them slamming in the wind).Will comments: ‘There’s something fundamentally wrong about the way that people have the power to lock you in the toilet!In the U.S. this just wouldn’t be possible.’ On day 5, Will awakes in the night to find that the door to his lodge room has been locked from the outside and he cannot get out to use the bathroom.Will reminisces on the experience the following morning: ‘I thought it might be some sort of unusual hotel policy to lock people in their rooms during the night’.
Day 5 – Sumit warns the group not to bother with the Pangboche bakery & tells us not to visit the Pangboche monastery as the group will be visiting the monastery the next morning.Will, Chris & Pete then head straight for the bakery & then after some food, they go & check out the monastery.On Day 13, the group visit the bakery in Pangboche again.Will develops stomach pains from a piece of layer cake of questionable vintage.
Day 6 – Standing in the Pangboche monastary (in 6 day old socks), Pete realises that his socks smell so bad that he cannot smell the incense that the Lama is burning.
Day 6 – Pete & Chris have cultured a pungent odour in their room at Pangboche. On the way out of Pangboche, Pete realises a missed opportunity ‘Chris! We forgot to get Anna to smell our room’.
Day 7 – Anna, Sabita, Erika & Pete wash their clothes at the Dingboche teahouse and hang them outside. During the acclimatization walk, it starts to snow. Pete says ‘I wonder if my clothes will dry in the snow’. The four return from the acclimatisation walk to find that their clothes have been rescued by the teahouse owner. It is still snowing & so they decide to finish drying by draping them over the windowsills in the public dining room. Pete turns his underpants over so that the crotch is not facing up: ‘maybe this will be more socially acceptable to the other guests’. Later Anna hangs her undies from the window latch (possibly the least conspicuous of locations) A reassured Pete thinks to says: ‘It must be socially acceptable!…. at least to Europeans’.
Pretty much every day – Pete (who never pays proper attention to the dinner menu) is looking at Erika’s dinner: ‘Ah good choice’. And then he looks at Will’s dinner: ‘Another good choice’.
Day 14 – Sabita looks at the 9 breakfast orders that have been filled out and asks ‘has everyone ordered already?!’. Chris points out ‘no… only three of us have ordered…. but we’ve ordered more than one breakfast each’. Evidently, high altitude has had no impact on appetite for these trekkers.
Day 1 through to Day 11 – Pete quizzes Will & Chris on their experience with facial hair: ‘When will my beard stop itching?’
Day 3 – ‘I’ve always wanted a photo with an attractive Swedish woman. It’s one of those things on my life’s ‘to do’ list.’ – Anonymous
Day 4 – Mario says: ‘Pete, would you like me to take your photo? And would you like an attractive Swedish woman in the photo?’
Day 4 – Will is grasping the concept of the game of Spoons: ‘So basically this is a game where the looser is the one who does not pay attention to a pile of spoons.’
Day 3 – Chris (who spent the last 8 months travelling in India) is explaining his first impressions of India: ‘I see all of the men holding hands and I think.. Wow… there are a lot of gay men here in India… and then I realise that it is normal for the men to hold hands.’
Day 3 – Chris wakes up and looks in the mirror: ‘Holy F%$k I look like Sh*t ‘
Day 2 – Anna is talking to a ‘dirty looking’ Australian trekker with dreadlocks (who is coincidentally from the central coast). ‘Are you on your way back to Lukla? You look like you’ve been trekking for many days?’ The trekker is shocked: ‘Why do you say that? I’m on my way up’. Anna tries to dig up: ‘Oh it is because your face looks sunburnt’. Trekker, ‘really am I that badly burnt?’. Anna, ‘oh yes yes, I can see you are’.
Day 4 – In the morning, Will walks into the tea house dining room sporting his new outdoor wear (including a blue quick dry top & a set of new trekking poles). Sumit wolf whistles.
Day 3 – Listening to Sherpa music in the Namche tea house. There is extremely heavy emphasis on the tamborine in this music.
Day 5 – Rock climbing on the way up to Pangboche, Pete is 50% of the way up the climb and he finally sees the crack/hold that everyone is pointing out: ‘I can see the crack!!…. But I’ve run out of energy.’ Pete falls off the wall. Sabita (who’s got Sumit on belay) laughs too much and nearly pulls Sumit off the wall. Sumit is not impressed.
Day 17 + 1 – Will is talking about how he sat down in Pilgrims cafe with the intention of using the free WiFi but without buying a coffee. He is wondering why the waiters did not ask for his order: ‘I couldn’t figure out if this meant that the service at Pilgrims was really good…. or if it meant that the service was really bad’.
Day 9 – Pete’s bag was not as full as Anna’s bag & so Anna keeps a few things with Pete’s stuff. At 7:30PM, Mario & Pete are asleep in their Gorak Shep room. Anna bursts through the door: “Excuse me!! I need my sleeping bag please!!”
Day 10 – The “Possa Pass” allowing guests at the Lobuche Peak XV lodge to traverse quickly from the upstairs hallway, through the window & into the sunroom.
Day 1 – Sumit speculates on why Pete brought a wad of writing paper up the mountains: “What are you going do with that?? Draw the mountains??”
Day 12 – Anna is left handed. On Lobuche, Dendi keeps on setting up her abseil on the right-hand side. After Summit day, Anna has a really sore right arm.
Day 17 – Will does not quite make it to the teahouse in Lukla. Sumit sends the porters to look for him in all of the coffee shops. A slightly inebriated Will turns up for dinner after he stopped to use the bathroom in Waves bar.
- Summer activities in the Southern Hemisphere for 5PM
- Rest day at Aconcagua base camp 6PM
- Heading to Camp 2 and first sleep at Camp 1 4PM
- Sleeping at Camp 2 tonight 7PM
- Summit push plans 9AM
- Lightly snowing at Camp 2 10AM
- Foiled by snow, back at BC 9AM
- Sleeping well in Mendoza 3PM
- Enroute to Everest and Makalu 4PM
- Blessed in Pangboche 6PM
- Snowing in Lobuche 7PM
- At Everest Base Camp 11AM
- Puja completed, climbing to begin! 5PM
- Sad day for the Himalayan Ascent team 8AM
- A tribute to our brother, Ankaji Sherpa 12PM
- Everest team is going home 12PM
- Closure on a black Everest season 8PM
- Makalu team waiting for window 11AM
- Makalu team back at base camp 9AM
- Back on Makalu push 9AM
- Makalu summits! 11AM
- Lakpa, Chirring and Chris summit K2! 6PM
- Dendi Sherpa, our long man
- Everest/Lhotse 2013 season about to kick off! 3PM
- Happy to be in Lukla 6PM
- Everest and Lhotse spring 8AM
- Fish and chips at 3440m
- Day hike to Gong Go (4150m) 1PM
- Chris Burke's blog updates 1.15PM
- To Phortse via Mong La (3975m) 4PM
- Blessed at Pangboche 7AM
- Contacting base camp 4PM
- Rolling into Everest base camp 10AM
- Day of spiritual reflection 11PM
- Pumori high camp 8AM
- First frolic in icefall 8PM
- 1st rotation to Camp 7PM
- Back at base camp 10PM
- Posted photos on facebook 1PM
- Round 2 underway 12PM
- Enjoying Camp 2 6PM
- Snow snow snow 8AM
- Resting at base camp 23-04-13 7PM
- Oxygen training 6PM
- Third and final rotation is on 8AM
- Waiting at Camp 2 4PM
- First sleep first team at Camp 3 5PM
- Back at BC, last rotation done 1PM
- A comment on the brawl incident 10AM
- Waiting game continues 7AM
- Back in our 2nd home at Camp 2 4PM
- Heading up 7AM
- The plan from Camp 3 1.30PM
- Set to launch from Camp 4 5PM
- First summits on Lhotse, summits on Everest and near summits! 1PM
- Resting at Camp 2 4PM
- Watching the crowds develop from base camp 3PM
- Heading home 1PM
- Summit day by Margaret 8AM
- Summer activities and Manaslu preparations 10AM
- Wrapping up the summer season 1PM
- Ama Dablam Expedition 2013 9.30AM
- Speed hike to Namche 7PM
- Expecting storm 10AM
- Winter wonderland at base camp 2PM
- Puja at base camp 8AM
- Pushed past the snow to 5600m 4PM
- Team A at Camp 1 5PM
- Good rotation to Camp 2 5PM
- Team B acclimatising at Camp 4PM
- Team A on summit push 8PM
- Summit attempt aborted 5PM
- Waiting for the lines and weather 8AM
- Winds too high 5PM
- Too risky, current teams ending the expedition 9AM
- Summit reward on Ama dablam 9AM
- EBC Lobuche East
- Lobuche East and EBC -Peter's blog
- Lobuche East and EBC -in Gorak Shep
- Lobuche East and EBC -Will's Post
- Lobuche East summit -Lexi's blog
- Lobuche East group all home
- “don’t worry there are plenty of spoons” & other famous quotes”
- Amadablam News
- Amadabam summit Push and Anna's EBC Visit
- Amadablam Update! (Ueli Steck to fix rest of the route)
- Amadablam Summit and other news!
- Everest 2012 update and Everest One Charity wrap up
- Heading to Manaslu 5pm
- Day 1 of trek to Manaslu base camp 10am
- First day of trekking to Manaslu 1pm
- Wet wet wet to Manaslu 2pm
- Manaslu team in Samagaon 2pm
- Ah there she is, the ol' girl Manaslu 8am
- In Manaslu base camp 10am
- First sleep at Manaslu Camp 1 5700m 12pm
- Snowing up top, raining down below 2pm
- It's back on! Manaslu rotations continue 6am
- Safe at base camp 4pm
- Not meant to be this year 7am
- Manaslu Avalanche Report 3pm
- Ama dablam, Putha Hiunchuli and Triple Peaks in full swing 10PM
- First summit on Ama dablam this season! 8PM
- Ama dablam and Putha Hiunchuli: summit bids and acclimatisation rounds 8am
- Ama dablam summit for Diane and Marty 11.30AM
- Very best of Everest expedition in Monjo 5PM
- Ama dablam ambitions and Mani Rimdu 4PM
- Summits #4 and 5, and #19 for Lakpa on Ama dablam! 8PM
- Team Garrett summit Ama dablam 3PM
- Summits on old faithful Lobuche East 5PM
- Team Pat on way to Camp 2 15-11-12 9AM
- Lakpa's 20th and summits for Team Pat 17-11-12 6PM
- 1st summit on Parchermo 4PM
- Diane's Khumbu adventures 9AM
- Ending season with summits on Amadablam 10AM
- End of Spring 2017 wrap up and new beginnings….
- First Myanmar Everest summit and more
- Everest team at South col, ready for the summit
- Another year of new challenges in the Himalayas
- Ready for summit, waiting for a good weather window
- First summit of the season on Annapurna!
- First rotation to Camp 2 complete!
- Everest and Annapurna update 17.04.16
- Annapurna and Everest update
- 2016, here we come!